Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tuesday is our day for a break.

Welcome to Tuesday Crazy Kids.

      Today is Tuesday, December 14, 2010.  We are going to take a little break from our feral children and wolf girls inquiries.  Today's guest teacher will be presenting you with what we call EXPOSITORY TEXT.  Say that three times to the partner to your left or right.  Expository text is non-fiction text we read to learn something from.  Good readers know how to navigate expository text and use it as another teacher. 
      You will be reading a selection from our Social Studies books and answering some comprehension questions. There is a brainpop to go with the reading to help you make connections as you read.  The 5 pages you will read start on 483 and end on 487. 
     
Our learning target for today is:
2b I can preview text before reading to set a purpose for reading

      Your purpose for reading the expository text today is to understand the answers to some important questions.  Each question is based on a different part of the reading.  If you preview the text first, you will see which subheading goes with each question.   Without further ado, here are your questions.

1. Why did people invest money in RAILROADS?
2. How was Andrew Carnegie able to make more STEEL for less money?
3. How did John D. Rockefeller get a monopoly in the OIL BUSINESS?
4. Why did inland CITIES become important in the late 1800s?

      I will return this afternoon so I hope you do your best work and choose a positive attitude.  If you finish before the end of the rotation you may read your self-selected text.  If you are interested I have also printed out an additional article on Child Labor.  You may read that for your enjoyment as well.  (Child labor isn't really an issue to enjoy.  I don't know why I said "enjoyment".)  Have fun reading.

Yours Truly,
C
P.S. I hear and I forget.
I see and I remember.
I do and I understand. 
Do your best and forget the rest.

2 comments:

Lord Rooney the Great said...

Sir C, I have finished my army. It consists of 400 men-at-arms, 400 archers, and 400 mounted knights. I just hope I didn't train them for nothing. I also have a castle that is almost impossible to get through to. Now i must go to my dinning hall for dinner. Goodbye, Sir C.

PS Sir C I do happen to have some open spots in my army if you would be interested...

Mr. C said...

Lord Rooney,

I am inclined to acquiesce to your request. I would be delighted to join your men-at-arms! Bend my bow to your will sir as one of your finest archers. Skills as a horseman I also possess if you would like to use them. My only request is to be seated amongst the knights of your dining hall while we feast to victory.

Best regards,
Sir C
P.S. Oh yeah I want a gnarly corslet of armor too.