Friday, December 17, 2010

What do you mean "So What?" I thought this was something important!!

Howdy do to all of you!

      Today is Friday, December 17, 2010.  What is "So what?" thinking.  Well, it's a PROCESS.  Oh no there is one of those evil twins again.  We will never escape their grasp!  Epic!  Where have you seen the words "so what" before?  It's on our extended DED's, and it does just that.  "So what" thinking extends and builds our understanding of what we read.

      The past few weeks that we have been reading text like Wolf Girls we have been practicing our "so what" thinking.  Now it's time for the end folks.  We will look at a rubric today that will bring all of our thinking and hard work together.  Use it as a checklist so that you know you completed everything.   

A TEACHING POINT is something a teacher (like me) thinks about when planning learning experiences for students (like you).  I have four today that I thought a lot about to see if they were something I believed as a teacher.  I also asked the question: "Are these teaching points something my 5th graders need to know for their future?" 

TEACHING POINT #1  Good readers use reading, writing, talk, and technology to deepen their understanding of information.
TEACHING POINT #2  Good readers use a variety of ways to think about text.  (Connections, inferences, visualizations, sift and sort, questions)
TEACHING POINT #3  Good readers don't need end-of-the-chapter questions or worksheets.  Good readers ask their own questions and take their own notes (graphic organizers).
TEACHING POINT #4  Good readers reread and return to text to build and extend their knowledge.  This enhances their enjoyment of texts they have read before.

Have fun reading, writing, talking, and using technology today.  You are all good readers. Share your good reading habits with others today.  

Paz Afuera,
C
P.S. I hear and I forget.
I see and I remember.
I do and I understand.  
DO your best and forget the rest! 

9 comments:

Lord Rooney the Great said...

Sir C, I will accept your skills as an archer, but not just any archer. A Ranger, an archer with the ability to see without being seen and has amzing bow skills. Ranger Halt has accepted thy as his apprentice. You can sit with my best knights at the head of my table. Think of this as a welcome into our victorious castle.

Your New Lord,
Lord Rooney the Great

Purple Peanuts! said...

hi mr.c! its purple peanuts! are you going skating!? ... well ... hm... YEP! YES YOU ARE! see yah tomorrow at 1!

PS my mom and I placed a bet so be bad at skating ... just for me!

PPS sorry about the whlo bet thing ...it was all my mom's idea promis!

Mr. C said...

Dear Purple Peanuts,

I hope my skating skills have your approval. We all had fun today, and it was great to see so many 5th graders there. We'll see you tomorrow at school. Our winter party is tomorrow.

C

Purple Peanuts! said...

wwwwaaaahhhhh! mr.C! I'm sad i wont see you all till next year! i mean gosh! this is like so sad I mean i have like maggie's phone number and tessa's phone number but thats like only two peoples I mean siriously! like ah ah aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!mr c im sad boo. bye im at my aunt sandra's house so yeah I'm gonna sleepover here to night just for funzees so um tomorrow I'm gonna have my cuzins Jordan and Jessica Meyer over so like no they r not my sisters just cuz they have the same last name my dad and uncle Ed r twins so ummmm well bye :(

alice the pshco cat said...

hey mr.c waz up!
its sadie again. i got some rad stuff for christmas!did you get anything? how was your christmas?
can you tell us on monday?
im very pchico this christmas, got rad electronics, and cant stop dancing around like a crazy person.
i called mckenna, & we talked for like 2 hours. best chritmas ever.
merry christmas mr.c.
sincerly
sadie.
p.s. i hear and i forget(alot)
i see and remember, i do and i understand(sometimes)
sadie

alice the cat said...

mr c,
i searched genetic experiments on google, and many of them were true.
scintest can put different genes in humans secretly. and you can die from the experiments that they do. for example maximum ride is real. she was a human avian hybrid. there is such things as experimentation on us. there called genetic experiments. they do it to animals to.when you stared talking about feral children(left in the wild) in foung out that it could happen to anyone, even you. every ones dream is to fly, feeling the wind in your hair, feelingwhat it's like, but the truth is... your experimented on, going through a world of pain. &someday when you breakout, if you break out you'll be chased around the world by the lab that created you and you will eventtuly die because of fighting. i want to learn more about this so i can help.

mckenna said...

MR C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KK i just JUST got bsck from vacation i went skiing!!!!!!!!!! the bad thing about that was i went skiing two days in a row and it was 4 hours there each time. now im back and posting (sad for u happy 4 me) wa ha ha ha (evil laugh) so... i now am bored and we ( ALL the kids) miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!! POST BACK TO ME read that again to be sure POST BACK TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mckenna

the detective said...

dear so-called mr. c i am a fifth grade detective in randal s.t.e.m we, the children are more SMART then you can imagine
The So-Called detective.
i shall give you reports sometimes.

Mr. C said...

Dear McKenna,

I am so sorry I missed your posts over the vacation. I don't have internet at my apartment, and sometimes I don't get a chance to check the blog at school unless we'er using it for class. Your vacation sounded amazing!! I didn't even know you enjoyed skiing. Thank you for not giving up on your old teacher. You sent many great comments even though there was nothing from my end for a long time.

KEEP ON POSTING!

C