Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Welcome Parents!

Hey Gnarly Newbies!

      Today is Wednesday, December 15, 2010.  For the past couple of weeks we have been looking at a type of text called EXPOSITORY TEXT.  It's non-fiction text that we use to learn from as we read.  You are going to get a chance to try some out on your own today. 

Our learning targets as we read today are as follows:
          2b I can preview text before reading to set a purpose for reading, generate questions, and locate specific information.
        2c I can use comprehension strategies to guide thinking within the text, and beyond the text (schema, connections, questioning, mental images, inferring, determining importance, synthesizing)

        
      That word in red should be a familiar word by now.  You watched a short video clip during your science rotation yesterday in Mrs. Lamberts rotation.  The video was about AIRPLANE DYNAMICS.  Anything you remember from that video is part of your SCHEMA now.  It is your memory.  Your background knowledge.  We will start today by watching a similar Brainpop video to access that SCHEMA you have stored in your memory. 

      After the Brainpop we will INTERACT WITH TEXT today through the use of a KWL graphic organizer.  I will be coming around with my observation checklist to see the thinking that is going on during your PRE-reading and DURING-reading.  Make sure you are asking questions and checking your understanding.  At the end of our rotation today I hope we save some time for a neat Tribes activity to check our understanding as a class.  Have fun practicing your comprehension strategies.

http://www.brainpop.com/science/motionsforcesandtime/flight/


Yours Truly,
C
P.S. I hear and I forget.
I see and I remember.
I do and I understand.
Do your best and forget the rest!
     

No comments: